Since its inception, the Glenn English National Cooperative Leadership Foundation Scholarship Committee has awarded over $10,000 in scholarships – in $2,000 increments – to individuals pursuing a career in engineering.
This annual opportunity would not be possible without the foresight and generous contributions of the IEEE: Rural Electric Power Committee (REPC). Together, we hope to support future engineers with an interest and passion for defining and solving the electric utility challenges of the future, specifically in the rural parts of America.
Dates & Deadlines:
- The deadline for application submission is 11:59 P.M. EST May 14, 2022.
- Winners are selected by our scholarship committee and announced after our summer board meeting in Mid-July, 2022.
- Awards are distributed in August/September, 2022.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Applicant must be enrolled in an ABET, 4-year program of electrical engineering or electrical engineering technology, and have at least a ‘B’ average in major subjects.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Applicant must have already received academic credits equal to at least one year of college.
Essay Requirement Information
To be considered for the Engineers of the Future Scholarship, you must submit an essay using the following requirements as your guide:
- Essays need to be between 1,000 and 1,500 words.
- Essays must describe, in detail, your plans to pursue a career as an electrical engineer, with an emphasis in electric power, in an electrical utility serving a rural area.
- Essays must demonstrate your knowledge of the unique challenges facing the electric industry in Rural America and describe how you might address these issues as an engineer.
- Major GPA
- Extracurricular activities within the engineering field, including, but not limited to participation in:
- Science Fairs | Math Counts | FFA | Scouts | Robotics | STEAM or STEAM programs | Computers, and other similar activities which enhance and / or promote engineering skills. Please make sure to note offices and leadership positions pursued and held.
- You also have the opportunity to submit an optional 3-5 minute video illustrating your above points in addition to the above essay.
Videos must be submitted via youtube.com. You will not be penalized for not submitting a video. A video submission cannot diminish your chances of receiving a scholarship. Anything submitted serves only to enhance your messages and chances of receiving the scholarship.
Through your essay, application and (optional) video, please demonstrate your commitment to a career in electrical engineering and your passion for improving rural communities via this career path.